Fans of shooters believe that the founder of the genre is the game Wolfenstein 3D, released by id Software in 1992. In fact, the first project that can be called a shooter is considered The Eidolon from Lucasfilm Games. This game was published back in 1985, but could not boast of particular popularity - the gameplay was too slow and "flat." After that, in 1991, the id Software studio, already familiar to us, released the Catacomb 3-D shooter, which can be safely considered the ancestor of modern “shooters”. There for the first time there appeared a character’s hand with a weapon and an HP indicator in the form of a hero’s face.
Based on this project, id Software subsequently created its iconic shooters - Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake. Thanks to Quake, by the way, gamers began to play games for a while and formed the term "speedran". Soon, fans of the new genre were pleased with projects like Half-Life (1998), Red Faction (2001), and in 2007 the legendary game Crysis was released, capable of loading any gaming computer of that time. Shooters gradually became even more beautiful and realistic, engines developed, new mechanics were created, and multiplayer improved. It's time to look at the modern representatives of this genre and choose the top ten.
10th place - Tom Clancy's The Division 2Ubisoft did well with the first part, and very well with the second part. The developers understood their mistakes, completely corrected them and showed a really solid third-person shooter that will drag you in for hundreds of real-time hours. It’s nice to shoot in this project, there are a myriad of weapons, plus it can, of course, be improved and painted to make fighting with virtual enemies even more interesting. Fortunately, we have plenty of opponents, and the world is big - Washington literally took and copied to The Division 2 without any changes. You can wander around the city and explore local attractions.
In addition, The Division 2 has a huge advantage - end-game content and PvP modes. Of course, it was possible to fight with other players in the Dark Zones and in the first part, but now we are talking about a full-fledged team-to-team battle, where bullets should not be fired at the enemy, but only for moral satisfaction. It remains only to find a couple of friends for a complete idyll, after which you can safely dive into The Division 2 and the next year do not even remember the existence of any other video games or the real world.
9. Battlefield 1The developers of the Battlefield franchise suddenly decided that after Battlefield 4 and Battlefield Hardline, they need to return to the roots and, so to speak, restart the series. Thanks to their desire, we got the best game about the First World War in the history of video games - the shooter turned out to be so grandiose in all respects that even Battlefield V was far behind. It's all about the approach to attracting the attention of the player - the authors of the project presented a very exciting storyline, which, although it lasted six hours, but brought a sea of emotions. For shooters, this is enough to stand out from the competition.
After a single campaign, which can also be called training, a gamer could safely jump into multiplayer and fight there with other fans of the series on huge maps. Bullets whistle from all sides, grenades explode, tanks smash into houses in small pieces, and you need to not only survive in this, but also kill at least someone. The feeling of battles in multiplayer is difficult to compare with something, since there are simply no such grandiose wars in other games. Fans of "shooters" who love the theme of the First World War and appreciate the storylines, this game will definitely like it.
8. Far Cry 5For a long time, fans pointed out to developers from Ubisoft the same storyline of the Far Cry franchise. It is very difficult to agree with this opinion, especially after the third license plate, but the authors of the series really decided to try something new. And the result surprised even those who previously did not like this franchise and considered it a passing one. In Far Cry 5, we were shown a completely new virtual world with villains and a setting that, unfortunately, exist in the real world. In small towns in the USA to this day there are sects and cruel "preachers", which this game will tell us about.
If we discard the plot, which is very good and deserves a separate compliment, and look at the gameplay component, then the fan of shooters will definitely like everything. There are a lot of weapons, it differs from each other by the sounds, physics and animations of shots. You can kill enemies with a sniper rifle or crush sectarians with a shotgun in melee, fight with a club or fire a hundred bullets from a machine gun. There are a lot of enemies, there is a bright hostility towards them and a desire to punish with a lead all who do evil in Hope County against innocent citizens. This is enough to name Far Cry 5 one of the best games in its genre.
7. Titanfall 2Titanfall 2 initially had a rather unfavorable release date, which did not allow the project to bring enough money to either the developer or the publisher. Thanks to poor sales, franchise authors released Apex Legends instead of Titanfall 3. On the other hand, the average sales level does not mean that the game is bad. On the contrary - Titanfall 2 is the rarest representative of its genre, which boasts an interesting storyline and fascinating multiplayer. In a single player campaign, for example, we will delight you with a cool story about the relationship between the protagonist and the robot.
There are jokes, and the ability to choose an answer in a dialogue with your friend, and even charismatic “bosses”. The storyline feels full and very emotional, for which Titanfall 2 definitely deserves praise. With multiplayer, which is not surprising, everything is also very good. Large-scale levels, grandiose battles and a lot of pleasure from each shot from your favorite rifle are provided to you. Of course, not everyone will like to run on walls and use the technologies of the future. But if you are a fan of this setting and are ready to fight in different planes, then you are welcome - Titanfall 2 is waiting.
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4The creators of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 decided to completely abandon the storyline and focus on multiplayer with a variety of content. At first, the fans didn’t really like it, but then it turned out that abandoning the single player campaign was good for the project. The authors of the fourth part of Black Ops provided the players with a decent set of very decent cards, a huge arsenal of weapons and a decent amount of body kits to it. In addition, the classic battle mode was finalized by removing crazy jumps and running around the walls. Now you can shoot and kill virtual opponents with the maximum share of pleasure.
There was also a battle without a royal battle - while EA only thought about creating this mode for the new Battlefield, the lucky owners of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 could plunge headlong into Eclipse. The mode turned out to be really fascinating - many even believe that it is much more interesting than PUBG or Fortnite. We add here a full-fledged mode with zombies, which is best done with friends, and we get one of the best parts of the cult series of shooters. If you liked the previous parts of Black Ops, but wanted a little faster gameplay, then this release is your ideal choice.
5. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six SiegeNot all gamers like arcade shooters with parkour, robots, or future technologies. There are loyal fans of the genre who love tactical games in which you need to shoot accurately, communicate with the team and win thanks to cunning tactics. For a long time, CS: GO was such a game, but Ubisoft released an even more exciting project called Rainbow Six Siege. This is a new round of development of tactical shooters, allowing the player to get a lot more pleasure from planning their actions and interacting with teammates.
The essence of the shooter is that one team of five defends and the second attacks. While some are barricading themselves and thinking about how to outwit the enemy, the latter, using all kinds of tracking devices, try to find weaknesses in the opponent’s defense. After this, the battle begins, in which the one who boasts a good reaction and accurate shooting, who knows how to communicate and give useful information wins. Do you like not only to shoot, but also to plan? You will definitely like Rainbow Six Siege - there is absolutely everything so that the next couple of years you will not even look towards other tactical shooters.
4. OverwatchIt is worth saying right away that the Overwatch release could turn into a disaster for Blizzard, because this is the first shooter that this company developed. But, even during the beta test in 2016, it became clear that the giant of the video game market did everything as efficiently and reliably as possible. The shooter’s optimization was already at an excellent level, the picture was bright and juicy, the characters had a lot of skills and skins, the cards were amazing in their versatility. In fact, the audience fell in love with Overwatch long before the release. Now it is one of the most popular arcade shooters in the world, which is definitely worth a try.
Do not be afraid of the word “arcade”, because there is nothing reprehensible in it. It’s just that in this game you don’t need to think about ballistics, sit in ambush or throw grenades clearly at the target. No, Overwatch is more about fun, vibrant skirmishes and massive battles, when the number of effects and special skills just rolls over. Of course, you also need to shoot accurately, but there are also a lot of unique skills that allow you to destroy hated opponents in batches. Also, let's not forget that Overwatch has a very low entry threshold - a great way to practice shooting with a gamepad in your hands.
3. Battlefield 4The fourth part of the Battlefield franchise was released back in 2013, but is still considered one of the best in its genre. Yes, at the time of release, the project had many bugs and shortcomings that were fixed during the year. However, Battlefield 4 is now a great game for virtual battles on the game console. Subsequent parts of the franchise partially hit Donat and all kinds of DLC for real money. Calling them worthy competitors of the fourth license plate, with the exception of Battlefield 1, is quite difficult. And why do this if the 2013 release is fully capable of satisfying absolutely all your requests.
The shooter surprises with the quantity and quality of weapons development - the trunks really have their own unique "character", motivate to develop and get a new kit. The cards are large enough to shoot enough from a sniper rifle, and from a machine gun, and from a grenade launcher. There is also the opportunity to use a variety of military equipment and undermine enemies by sending their vehicles into the air. The project is not just so many years supported by the developer - online is huge, players continue to fight in days and nights in multiplayer. So why not join them?
2. DOOMId Software Studio, together with Bethesda Softworks, has already decided for the second time to restart the DOOM franchise, which once was the most beloved among shooter fans. Fortunately, the second restart turned out to be more successful - the game was not only liked by the shooters, but also caused a real storm of praise from the profile media and critics. The project was even nominated for the title of the best game of 2016. For many, however, it is such. It's all about the incredible atmosphere, which in other shooters has long ceased to exist due to the fashion for game services, and the desire of developers to please their audience.
In this game, the plot is not so important - our main character arrived straight to Hell and he is not particularly willing to listen to long speeches about what the commanders want from him. He wants to kill and, quite importantly, he knows how to do it with special grace. It remains only to find a couple of interesting guns to famously destroy the crowds of enemies on their way. There are really a lot of enemies and they are colorfully scattered by blood clots across locations, while our brave marine moves on in search of another target. Just a chic project for those who want to shoot, enjoy weapons and not think about the storyline.
1. Wolfenstein II: The New ColossusAt the end of October 2017, Bethesda Softworks released a completely unusual first-person shooter called Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. No one even expected that the game would turn out so cool - the developers thought through absolutely everything. And shooting from different weapons feels great, and the levels are built correctly, and the enemies are disassembled, and the plot causes only a desire to know everything as soon as possible. And, most importantly, all this is harmoniously intertwined, creating the most driving gameplay that can only be found among modern shooters.
The authors of the project boldly abandoned any multiplayer battles and proved that single-player games can also be successful, exciting and popular. A beautiful picture gives us the opportunity to enjoy realistically killed enemies, and the most intense gameplay makes us bored or at least think about how to rest. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a real armored train in its genre that drags a player through an entire single player campaign, forcing him to kill everyone in hundreds of different ways. After passing this game, any other shooter will seem boring and mundane.